Thursday, December 19, 2013

My Favorite Christmas Albums

I love Christmas music. I didn't always, but I have really started to in the past few years. Summer trips to Goodwill and the Salvation Army ended in many unexpected $2 additions to my collection!

In the meantime, here is a post dedicated to my favorite Christmas albums. Listed in no particular order. Most of these are older albums, and sadly many bands that I like don't do Christmas music.. which isn't surprising. But hopefully someday I can get genre playlists up here for the holidays, because 'cool' Christmas music does exist. :)

Keep in mind, this particular post is dedicated to favorite albums, not albums with favorite songs.. so there are of course some essentials being left out here! :) And a lot of the more unique stuff... 

Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker

Genre: Classical

A classic in my book. As a child I loved the nutcracker story and the first year I saw the ballet I was mesmerized. Two years ago Kyle took me to see it again and it was just as wonderful. The music is beautiful. I love it in the car or in the background for decorating the tree. 

Favorite Tracks: Waltz of the Snowflakes, Pas De Deux, & Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy.

A Christmas Celebration - Celtic Woman
Genre: World / Classical / New Age

This is Celtic Woman's first Christmas album. Of course I love Celtic Woman, but this album is so fantastic that it would be a great addition to anyone's Christmas music collection. This album is fairly soothing and calm, it is all amazingly beautiful. 

Favorite Tracks: Ding Dong Merrily on High!, Christmas Pipes, Carol of the Bells, Don Oiche Ud I Mbeithil (That Night In Bethlehem){amazingly beautiful!}, The Wexford Carol{amazingly beautiful!}.

Home for Christmas - Celtic Woman

Genre: World / Classical / New Age

This album was just released last year but it is already a favorite of mine. This album is much more lively than the other one and recorded with a symphony. I will admit that I like the first album more so far, but this album has so many great songs on it that it can't be left out of my list. 

Favorite Tracks: I'll be home for Christmas {amazingly beautiful!}, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, Mary's Boy Child, Auld Lang Syne {amazingly beautiful!}.

Acoustic Hearts of Winter - Aly & AJ
 Genre: Pop / Early 2000's Pop

This album is fairly short, but possibly my all time favorite Christmas album. I grew up with this one! It's very simple and acoustic but for some reason it's just really special. Their voices are beautiful and the music is simple and fun. The classic hymns are gorgeous and the more modern Christmas songs are fun and upbeat. There are also a few original songs one is very upbeat and pop-y very early 2000's and the other is about a year when their grandmother died during the holidays and they didn't want to celebrate. Overall it's really simple and a sentimental favorite of mine, I'm a sucker for early 2000's pop! 

Favorite Tracks: Joy to the World, We Three Kings, I'll Be Home for Christmas, Let it Snow, Deck the Halls, Little Drummer Boy.

December - Chris Botti 
 Genre: Jazz

This album is largely instrumental but contains one original song where Botti sings. He is a fantastic jazz trumpeter. Many of the songs are very lively, others as expected are more simple and slow. I really love it as background music. It would be great for a cocktail party or dinner party during the holidays!

Favorite Tracks: Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!, Perfect Day, Winter Wonderland, Little Drummer Boy.

Santa Claus Lane - Hilary Duff
 Genre: Pop / Early 2000's Pop

This one is definitely a classic for me. You are probably reading this thinking.. "seriously? Hilary Duff makes your list?" And yes, she does! I admit it! This album was my very first Christmas CD of my own. I was a tween and it was perfect at the time. So anytime I listen to it I get really excited and nostalgic. It's very fun and upbeat. Not really quality music, but it's cute and fun. Definitely what gets me pumped up for Christmas. 

Favorite Tracks: Jingle Bell Rock, Sleigh Ride, Wonderful Christmastime, I Heard Santa on the Radio, Same Old Christmas, Tell Me a Story.

A Few of the Newer Additions to My Collection:

Winter Magic - Hayley Westenra

Genre: Classical / Pop

Hayley Westenra is not super well known in the US, but she should be! She is a New Zealand native and was briefly a member of Celtic Woman. She has a fantastic voice so I decided to download her Christmas album this year. So far I really like it. It's not your typical classical type album like you would think. Parts of it are very fun and modernized, but not silly pop like some of the albums mentioned above. Many of these songs will probably make it onto my classics list in the future! 

Favorite Tracks: Veni Veni Emmanuel, River, Corpus Christi Carol, Peace Shall Come.


White Christmas - Brooke White


Genre: Indie / Folk/ Pop

I love Brooke White. If you don't know who she is, you should. She was a former idol contestant the one year I watched. Now she is not only a singer but a mom, a blogger, a part of a group called Jack and White, and one half of the girls with glasses. I really really like Brooke White. So of course her Christmas album is a favorite too. It's a little pop-y, a little folk-sy and a little indie. My favorite song is probably Christmas Card, an original.

Favorite Tracks: Christmas Card, I Love Christmas, pretty much all of them.. :)


Holiday Spirits - Straight No Chaser


Genre: A Capella

If you haven't heard of Straight No Chaser, again go look them up. They are so talented and funny to listen to. Much of this album is funny and really really well performed. 12 Days, will have you laughing out loud! This is a great one for the car and for sing alongs.

Favorite Songs: Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Jingle Bell Rock, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing/Angels We Have Heard On High, Little Saint Nick, The 12 Days of Christmas, Carol of the Bells, Africa {bonus track on itunes}.

So there you have it, a few of my favorite Christmas albums. Some are modern, some are classic. Some are well known others are guilty pleasures. I love them all!

I hope this post puts you in the holiday spirit whatever your musical tastes!

What are your favorite Christmas albums?

All for now,

Alexandra  

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you're repping Aly & AJ and Hilary Duff! Long live the best of Disney Channel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes! The best and classiest :) Plus I've got a little sis so we always kind of related to Aly and AJ hhaha. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO