Monday, January 25, 2016

Have You Heard? // Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - "Cecilia and the Satellite"


When I was in high school. There was a band called Jack's Mannequin. It made all of my angsty teen feelings feel so validated. It was catchy, and dreamy, and I loved it. It was perfect for blasting in my car with the windows down, and putting on mix CDs for KC. When I was that age I wasn't plugged in, I rarely knew who was who or which artists had new albums coming out. I also wasn't allowed to go to most concerts. So after "Everything's in Transit" I kind of forgot about Jack's and about the lead singer Andrew McMahon.

Fast forward nearly 10 years... to last spring. They started playing this song on our local alternative station. It sounded familiar. McMahon was back with a new project.


I started trying to figure out what had happened in the last 10 years that I missed.... turns out that right after that Jack's Mannequin album was released in 2005, he was diagnosed with cancer.

He made it through treatments, his then girlfriend stuck by his side, he started a foundation for young adults and teens with cancer, and he's continued to make music. After all that, they were able to have a baby. The doctors proactively had him bank his sperm, and now he's not only 10 years cancer free, he's got the sweetest little girl.

This song is about her. (& this video is adorable)



I love this song. Have you heard it? I think it's been on a lot of commercials.


On Saturday night we got to see 10 Years in Transit, his Jack's Mannequin anniversary tour. It was a miracle that we got tickets!


It was so beyond amazing. I know every word to every song, and it was such a dream to hear it live. Not to mention it was an incredible show. (bonus: I didn't lose my feet to exposure!... will call line was looooooong!)


This summer he will be opening for Weezer as the tour the country with Panic at the Disco! (who knew they still made music..?) Anyhow, if you find yourself out and about, definitely check out his music and his story. Really inspiring stuff. I love Weezer, I'm not in to Panic at the Disco! but I might consider going because the KCMO venue is one I like, and c'mon it's Weezer. We'll see. :)

Are there any albums that meant everything to you in high school?

What are you listening to these days?

(Just found out J.Lo. is playing in Vegas now! I hope she's still there in August!)

XO,

Alexandra


P.S. Jack's Mannequin had a song called "MFEO: Part 1" (MFEO = Made for Each Other), I put that on a mix for KC a loooong time ago. I used to think he might be made for me.... let's just say 10 years later it was really fun to belt it out live with him. *heart eyed emojis*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO