Monday, January 9, 2017

My Favorite Books of 2016 // Bookworm

Since I missed the 2016 linkup, here are my favorite (& least favorite) books of 2016!


Delightful from Beginning to End: Dumplin' by Julie Murphy & Anna and The French Kiss (Series) by Stephanie Perkins


OMG. MUST. FINISH. THIS.: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas & Mara Dyer (Trilogy) by Michelle Hodkin


Children's Book / Art Book: Miss Moon: Wise Words from a Dog Governess by Janet Hill < also, most whimsical.


Cookbook: Cake Magic! Mix and Match Your Way to 100 Amazing Combinations by Caroline Wright - every cake we have made has been AMAZING, and I'm not really a cake person!


Best Fantasy (different types, and I read A LOT!): Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-GarciaThree Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake , and The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. - these three were all surprises in their own ways... and I loved them!


Best Series (Retelling): Scarlet Trilogy by A.C. Gaughan (spin on Robin Hood, reads like action-packed historical fiction) & Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (sci-fi twist on Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White)


Best Series (Dark): Mara Dyer Trilogy by Michelle Hodkin


Short Story: My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories edited by Stephanie Perkins


Historical Fiction: The Tumbling Turner Sisters by Juliette Fay - loooooved!


Horror: Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake - not scary, really different and enjoyable!


Self Help: Radical Self Love by Gala Darling - loved the amount of practical ideas and activities in here. More user-friendly than many self-help type books.


Romance: Anna and The French Kiss (Series) by Stephanie Perkins < sweet, & A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas < sultry. I didn't read any true romance novels this year.

Best Non Fiction: No Baggage: A Minimalist Tale of Love and Wandering by Clara Benson - quarter life crisis + travel. I found this inspiring and relate-able.


One that I Like More as Time Goes On: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith


Pleasant Surprises (didn't expect to like so much!): Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding - because I had already watched it, Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz -because I didn't know anything about it, & don't read a ton of mystery.


Let Downs (thought they'd be better): Starting Now by Debbie Macomber & 12 Days of Christmas, The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen, Austenland by Shannon Hale, Summerlong by Peter S. Beagle, Twelve Days of Christmas by Debbie Macomber. Macomber's books fell flat for me... does she have a ghost writer? SAA is my fave, but this one was a little over the top. I still liked it, but not as much as the others. Austenland was not as enjoyable as the movie for me. Summerlong was a struggle. Did not like. Miss Peregrine was really boring for me. Witches of East End books were a little silly, not nearly as fun as the television show. The Secret Healer was not great... couldn't finish it. Either bad translation or too basic of writing. Also in this category: Exposure to a Billionaire. Cool idea, not a fun read.

Struggling to pick a more narrowed list...

Linking up with Jana and Steph for Show Us Your Books tomorrow. :) 

Life According to Steph

What were your favorite books of 2016?

What's on deck for 2017?

See my 2015 favorites, here. - much shorter list! HA

XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO