Monday, July 24, 2017

Getting Started With Project Life // Why You Should Try It! // Yes, You Can!

Happy Monday Friends! I hope that you had a great weekend!

If you read my last post, I explained the basic supplies you'll need to start Project Life, so check that out if you're ready to shop! Today I am talking about excuses and motivation!

There are so many reasons you should try project life, and also so many reasons you might think you shouldn't! Here are a few thoughts I have (or had) as I started and continue with PL!

What's Your Excuse?!

Believe me, I had them too! But once I started, I loved it, and got into a rhythm with documenting. I worked my way "up" through the levels of documenting as I had time and supplies to do so. Sometimes all you need to do is debunk your own excuses! So, what's yours?


"I'm not creative enough!"

Yes you are! The best thing about project life is that you can start with the basics and work your way up, or not! You can decide how much work you want to put in, and how creative you "need" to be. Project Life is about documenting your memories and your life! It's not about creating stunning art. You should make it how you like it, and at the level you are comfortable with! :) I personally found that using the project life method has made it easier for me! It's so much easier to fill each small pocket than to make a 12x12 page look coordinated. I think that many people find it "easier".


"I don't have time!"

Project Life does not need to be time consuming! Like I said before, it only takes as much time/creativity as you want to put into it. There is no need to spend hours on your album, unless you are able and/or WANT to. With the basic supplies ready (photos printed, etc.) all you have to do is place your items in pockets. Seriously, you can stop there. That can take as little as 5 minutes! Even if you add embellishments, it can take as little time as you need! I like to multi-task by working on it while we watch Netflix. The biggest hurdle with time, might be making sure that you do what's easiest for you in terms of photos! For some it will be easier to order them online and have them shipped. For others, you may want to pick them up 24-hour photo style. For me, I needed to be able to print them at home. Think about what will work best for you, having those photos ready is the key to success!

"... but I'm seriously busy!"

Oh boy, guys! This was me. 100%. What I found out is that when I spent a bit of time working on it, even when I "didn't have time"... the more I found that I did have time! I also found that unlike other plans and hobbies, project life, and working with my hands reduced my stress. That stress that comes from being so busy! It's a win win guys!


"I don't have anything exciting to document!"

Some of my very favorite moments are the tiny ones, and I find that when I'm photographing them, and documenting them, it's an exercise in gratitude. I love looking back at those little cuddly cat moments, when KC does something small but comforting for me (shelling my peanuts at restaurants), etc. it can be so nice to look back on those moments! What you are reading, what you are working on goal-wise, your daily struggles and triumphs ARE part of your life. Don't feel like they aren't worth documenting! Your story is worth telling, no matter what you are doing.

"I don't have enough money to scrapbook!" / "I don't know where to start!"

These are kind of related thoughts in my mind. it is easy to imagine that you need a ton of supplies and therefore money to start project life. If you haven't seen my last video, that should clear up a few things as to what you "need" to get started. In all actuality, it's really not that many supplies. You can also start stocking up bit by bit. You can purchase items one by one at your craft stores with coupons as you go. Both Michael's and Hobby Lobby have weekly coupons in their apps. Going back to some of the topics above, you really can start with just a binder, page protectors, some photos, and some type of paper or cards. Getting a starter kit like a Becky Higgins kit at a craft store will include everything you really need. Plus if you REALLY want to add more later, you can do it later! As you get more supplies you can go back to "finished" pages and embellish more!

"I don't have enough photos!"

I've actually noticed that some of my favorite PL pages are ones that include less photos! You can use filler cards, paper, mementos like tickets, and other supplies to round out your pages and albums!

"I don't want to start until I have everything!" / "I don't want to make an album that I won't like!"

When I started my first album, I used a very very small stash of supplies. Basically my album, page protectors, photos, an old kit, a washi tape, and one stamp set. It was enough. As I got more into the process, I added new supplies here and there. When I went back through my first pages, I could easily add more to them with my new supplies. You don't ever have to be "done" if you aren't ready to. Chances are, you'll love seeing anything printed and created by yourself, it doesn't really matter exactly what it looks like. It won't need to be perfect.

So there you have it, a few excuses de-bunked and therefore a few more reasons you should start your Project Life album!

In all actuality, Project Life is probably not for everyone, but I DO think that preserving your memories and telling your story is important. Whether you do that in a journal, a photo book, videos, traditional scrapbooks, etc. Tell your stories folks, they're so important!

I'm planning more of these posts, but let me know what thoughts and questions you have! What do you want to know?

I'd love to help you get back on the documenting journey. (Or start one!) I think that it can be fun and easy for EVERYONE!

I shared my first five PL videos recently: Houston & GalvestonSan FranciscoGeorgiaNashville, and Las Vegas. Check those out! To learn about the process, supplies, etc. for my other sections, you can watch my videos. :)

XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO