Monday, May 14, 2018

6 (More) Fairy Tale Retellings to Add to Your TBR! // Bookworm

Since I've spent a lot of time over the past few years reading fantasy, and specifically fairy tale retellings, I wanted to share a second volume of 6 fairy tale retelling recommendations today! (check out Volume I, here)




Here are six highly rated Fairy Tale Retellings from my list to add some magic to your TBR. All links lead to Goodreads!

1) East by Edith Pattou

Retelling of East of the Sun, West of the Moon

This book follows Rose, who was born facing North, by her mother's superstitions that predestines her to be wild and always seeking adventure. Fearing that life for her, she lies, and says she was born facing East, meaning she will be level headed and happy at home. However, Roses's destiny will be that of a North child, and everything sets into motion one day when a white bear comes to take her away from her home. Rose must leave with the white bear, figure out his curse, and then journey to the ends of the earth to save him. I absolutely loved this adventurous fairy tale. It was woven together with so much research on things like early navigation tools, Inuit culture and customs, sailing, weaving, etc. etc. This was fascinating, and I am so excited that 13 years later she is releasing a sequel, West. (Netgalley did not give it to me, *SOBS*)

2) Zel by Donna Jo Napoli

Retelling of Rapunzel

I read this AGES ago, and would love to re-read it. This is a re-telling of Rapunzel that is quite dark (from what I'm reading in the reviews) , and focuses heavily on the toxic mother-daughter relationship in the Rapunzel story. I am itching to re-read this now so I can weigh in! It's been years since I read it. But I remember quite liking it!

3) Piper by Jay Asher and Jessica Freeburg 

Retelling of The Pied Piper

This graphic novel is a re-telling of the Pied Piper, and follows Maggie, a deaf girl who is shunned by her village. She just wants to live a normal life, but comforts herself by imagining up (rather dark) stories. When her village is facing a rat infestation along with the diseases they carry, the Piper shows up just in time to save them. Maggie is accepted by the Piper, but is he what he seems? I really enjoyed this dark graphic novel, the art was especially lovely as well! I highly recommend if you are looking to get into graphic novels!

4) Just Ella by by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Retelling of Cinderella

This story follows Ella, a commoner who has won the affection of the prince. She's taken to the castle to learn the way of the royals before her wedding. However, life in the castle and with the prince isn't what it seems, and Ella doesn't like it very much at all. This was one of my very favorite books in middle school. One of the handful of middle-grade novels that I still own. I wasn't sure what it would be like to re-read it. I certainly knew that the contents that had shocked and surprised me back when I was 10, would not now in the same way. I don't think I'd ever read anything quite like it. I'm happy to report... that after a second read, I still love it. 16 years later. I'm excited to check out the companion books, and someday recommend this to my youngest sister. I would recommend this if you like middle-grade novels, or have a kiddo who might like it!

5) The Winternight Trilogy (The Bear and The Nightingale, Girl In the Tower, and The Winter of the Witch) by Katherine Arden 

Retelling of various Russian Fairy Tales

Vasya is the youngest daughter of Petyor Petrovich and she is wild like her mother was. In the Northern part of Russia Vasya's city is caught between a primal and pagan past and the church. She is a disgrace to most of her city, but is perhaps the only one who can save them from what is coming. If you've spent any time on my blog... you know I'm obsessed with The Bear and the Nightingale. I read it a second time, and it's sequel again in January of this year, and I am still so in love with the writing, world, and series. These books are slow wintertime stories, and they are lovely, but require you to take your time with them. I took a Slavic folklore course in college and loved "seeing" medieval Russia come to life in these books, and the tales that I learned in the course re-imagined within the pages of these books. 

6) Beauty and The Clockwork Beast by Nancy Campbell Allen

Retelling of Beauty and the Beast

A re-imagining of Beauty and the Beast that takes place in a fictional Victorian England. This book has some heavy steampunk elements to it, complete with vampires, specters, shifters, airships, ray guns, and 'tons. The story follows our very independent and academic heroine, Lucy Pickett as she visits her ill cousin in her new home, the spooky Blackwell Manor. When she meets the lord of the manor she finds him extremely disagreeable, and he cannot stand her. Think Pride and Prejudice. As Lucy's cousin's condition worsens, she must work with Lord Blackwell to figure out who or what is behind the mysterious deaths and illnesses at the manor. This book was an absolute delight to read! I loved Lucy and Lord Blackwell, their relationship is so funny and steamy for a proper romance. This one reminded me of Edenbrooke meets Soulless. See my full review during June's SUYB! Coming soon the next book in the series: Kiss of the Spindle.

Of course I have another volume of this coming your way before the end of the year, and I have a TON of fairy tale retellings on my TBR!

Have you read any of these? What did you think?

Do you have any to recommend to me?!

Check out Volume I, here.

Interested in Other Booklists? Check out 12 Witchy Reads!

Let's be friends on goodreads!

XO,

Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading! I love seeing your sweet comments and visiting your lovely blogs! XO